It’s amazing when we come to the realise how dependant we have become on technology. I see it every day when people freak out about their computer being down while I’m fixing it. Or how many times they call me when I’m trying to support someone else. Many people’s jobs rely so heavily on their computer that when the computer is down there is absolutely NOTHING they can do! So the other day my beloved Palm Pre broke (see article from my Organized Mom blog entiled “I Can’t Have Anything Nice”) At the moment I am stuck without a cell phone and without a connection to the outside world (or so it feels like).
Things I can’t do now that my cell phone is broken …
1. Text. I absolutely love to text, especially since I absolutely hate talking on the phone. I would much rather email and text then talk to someone. Unless it’s in person. I love talking to people in person.
2. Be in touch with my husband. Since we only have one car this has become essential. Yesterday I had to pick him up from work. I usually text him to let him know that I’m there, but not today… I drove around to the back and used someone else’s cell phone to find out when he’d be back at the store.
3. Read while nursing. When it’s 4 AM and I’m nursing my son I always bring my phone so I can read… websites/scriptures/blogs/facebook/etc. It is really nice to be able to have something to do so I don’t fall asleep in the chair!
4. Tweet. OK, I’m not completely down and out on the twitter front, since I still have my laptop, but it’s really nice to be able to tweet on the road when thoughts come to me.
5. Weight Loss Log. I’ve got an app on my phone to track my food consumption and my exercise.
6. Shopping List. Seriously, how did I go shopping before I had my Pre?
7. Help Desk on the Road. I’m the only person that answers the help desk for my company. If I’m not at my computer it goes to voicemail. My Pre notifies me that there is a new voicemail. I can then listen to the voicemail and respond to the client wherever I am. I feel so much less tied to the house when I can do my job wherever I am.
8. Answer the phone. The grand-daddy of all is that since we don’t have a home phone, I have no way to talk to people. Luckily I have been able to use my help desk phone (since the phone is through my computer).
So needless to say I’m distraught! I need my phone back! I’m lost without my phone!! Please pray it gets fixed very very soon so that I can go back to living my life normally!!! Thank you!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I receive compensation if you make a purchase using the links.