Round 2! Best of CES 2012
Allright, I have come to the realization that I cannot feature every cool new product at CES, there were just far too many. But, I did want to include a few more in our “Best Of” list. (If you missed round one, you can view it here.)
1. Thank goodness I made an appointment, because the Griffin booth was HOT this year! Griffin was demonstrating the Helo TC, a remote controlled helicopter navigated with your iOS device. For $49.99 You can move the chopper with your iPhone forward, backward, side to side, and attempt to land in the palm of your booth guides hand. (I did not succeed on that last one.)
2. Totes, by Isotoner, was at CES this year showing off their smarTouch Tech Stretch gloves. Sewn in conductive thread makes gloves usable on all touch screen devices. I tried out a pair myself, and was impressed with both the snug fit and plush lining. Retail is $42, but the smarTouch gloves are currently on sale for $29.40 here.
3. Case-Mate was all about color this year. This year Case-Mate has launched a huge line of bright and beautiful cases and accessories. They even had an entire section of their booth allowing visitors to build their own phone case out of clear, bright plastic pieces. The Colorways Case pictured above was one of our favorite designs for the iPhone 4/4S this year. Retailing for $30, this case creates a kaleidoscopic pattern once put together.
4. USB wall outlets will definitely be the next big upgrade for digital friendly families. This one featured at CES by Power2U retails for $39.95, and can be bought in a twenty pack for $800.
5. Since returning home countless friends have asked me what the next big TV will be. I have to award best in show to LG for their 55″ 3D OLED TV with 4K-display resolution. What is OLED and 4K? OLED, or organic light-emitting diodes, are more energy-efficient, are thinner and provide better black levels compared with standard current LEDs used in TVs today. Did we also mention that the LG 55″ TV is also only 4mm thick on the side? LG’s OLED TV also weighed in at just under 17 pounds. Holy crap, my babies weigh that much at four months! Though it’s not yet available to consumers, the 55″ OLED TV will most likely be priced around $10,000. At that price, this is one baby you don’t want to cary around.
6. It was tough picking the best new cell phone this year, but we have to go with the Windows 7 friendly Nokia Lumia 900. Featuring a sleek and curvy design, it also boasts a 4.3″ AMOLED display. Our favorite part about the Lumia 900? An 8-megapixel camera that performs beautifully in low light, and can also snap wide-angle pictures. If you’re interested in knowing when the Lumia 900 is available, you can sign up to be notified here.
7. After testing many laptop bags, we have to award Best in Show to Golla for their trendy urban style. We put this bag to the test filling it with not just a laptop and tech supplies, but the whole contents of a diaper bag as well. For working moms on the go, the Golla Cabin Laptop Bag is a hands down a favorite at Tech4Moms. Keep watch at Golla.com, this bag is sure to hit shelves soon.
8. The iMarker is sure to be a big hit with kids this year. Paired with the free ColorStudio HD App, this creative combination brings coloring on your iPad to a whole new level. The iMarker is priced at $29.99 and is available here at the Griffin store. The Color Studio HD App can be downloaded for free here.
9. Microvision‘s laser pico projector, the SHOWWX, was a talked about item at CES this year. This projector is the perfect companion to your Apple iPod, laptop, MacBook, digital camera or other video output-capable device to project photos, movies, presentations and more, in a big screen experience. We love the idea of a portable projector, but priced at $319 we are holding off for a better price.
10. I have no doubt in my mind that one day it will be standard for all homes and families to have a 3D printer! 3D printing was all the rage at CES this year. This 3D printer by Cubify will sell later this year for $1,300 and single color cartridges will retail for around $50 a piece. Steep? Yes. But as time goes by we predict that consumers will see more and more of these products, and better and better prices.
Congratulations to our Best in Show winners!
Sarah will be writing up some cool company features in the next few days, and I have several cool new CES product reviews coming up in the next few weeks. If we missed one of your favorites show stoppers, be sure to send us an e-mail of leave us a message about it in the comments below!